Home » Posts tagged 'Barrett Jones'
Tag Archives: Barrett Jones
As of Friday AM, it’s looking like a whiff in free agency concerning the number one need for the Browns: cornerback. We’re also missing a free safety, a tight end ‘threat,’ and guard depth.
It could be Aqib Talib has been the target all along and that he’ll be signed today. It could be that Kerry Rhodes makes a nice fit at safety. The Fred Davis battle continues today and as for me, I’d welcome
Dustin Keller (Dead; Keller to Dolphins.) as a consolation prize. We see no guards on the horizon.
Regardless, one takeaway here is that the confidence displayed with the initial moves of Kruger and Bryant shows all the hopeful signs of a plan being executed. Based on that, I will assume that the plan for cornerback, tight end, safety, and guard centers on the draft.
Sooo.. let’s play: BEST CASE SCENARIO!!
First step: trade back.
The usual fan call for ‘trade-back’ tends not to address the ‘with whom shall we trade?’ question. And as of a couple weeks ago, that was very much an open question. But several events have created an environment where this becomes do-able.
- Geno Smith looked good in his pro-day.
- Bills cut Ryan Fitzpatrick and now have Tarvaris Jackson as their #1 QB. While it *could* be with an eye toward reuniting HC Marrone with his QB Nassib in the second round, it could also reflect an interest in Geno.
- Dolphins get nutty acquiring ‘playmakers’ and lose their best o-lineman. They would seem to be targeting Joeckel/Fisher/Johnson as a replacement; after all that’s a top 10 QB they’ve got there and need to keep upright. Add in that the back-loaded trickery employed to stock the 2013 roster still leaves them short on money to the point where signing draft picks might become a problem.
- Cardinals display every indication of having lost faith in Kevin Kolb.
- Jets now rumored to be interested in Geno Smith. (Of course, this report also says that the Jags, Raiders, Eagles are also interested. But we’re playing best-case scenario and so dismissing these reports.) The Jets line is horrible.
I’ll sprinkle in just a touch of reality and acknowledge that Geno could well be gone before the Browns’ 6th pick which would remove Bills, Cards from mix. But the Dolphins could easily believe in a drop-off after the big three OTs. The Jets could get squirrelly of it looks like Warmack and Cooper won’t last to #9.
We’re just playing here, right?
Browns trade back from #6 to #12 with Miami. Complete deal sends Browns’ #6 and #68 (3rd) for Dolphins’ #12, #42 (2nd), and #82 (3rd).*